Saturday, February 20, 2010

Backlog: Sherlock Holmes

After I saw Sherlock Holmes in theatres I was rendered completely speechless. I have an affinity and deep love for the English language, especially in regards to its earlier, more elegant forms, and this film took away my ability to form complete sentences. As a friend of mine told me laughingly: "It stole it all from you!"

You can probably guess where this review is going.

I loved it. I can't wait to see it again. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law made the best leading men I've seen in a long time, and both of them gave wonderful performances. However, the crowning jewel of the film was most certainly its wit. The writing was worshipful (if I didn't make that abundantly clear already). I think my favorite line currently is and will probably remain: "Holmes, you do realize what you've been drinking is intended for eye surgery." That, and of course "Capacity to spit on back of head: neutralized."

Now, I have a confession to make. Of all the Holmes adventures, I have only ever read The Hound of the Baskervilles.
You may now throw rotten vegetables at me.

Now that's over with and I am thoroughly coated in tomato, which I heartily deserve, may I go on to say that because of this shameful fact I can't really judge how much the film changes Watson and Holmes as far as their character dynamic goes. However, the (potentially) amped-up action as well as Holmes' wild eccentricity were entertaining. The former was impressive, the latter endearing.

It was visually stunning, as well, occasionally recalling true historical work and occasionally turning towards something fictionalized (cough, Steampunk, cough). Either way, it was quite the jolly good romp, and left blatantly open for a sequel, as well! I await it with baited breath.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it too! Jude and Robert brought a sort of "bromance" to Dr. Watson and Holmes, which I thought was really funny.
    Visually, the film was really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete