Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Samuel R. Delany's Nova and The Civil Wars

I've been listening to The Civil Wars' single, Barton Hollow, a lot lately. It's got great rhythms, an intruiging story, and let's face it, the vocals are superb:


Now, I've been reading Nova by Samuel R. Delany for my Afrofuturisms class (it's AWESOME). In it, there's this character, the Mouse. He's a Romani, a wanderer, and a musician. He plays something called a sensory-syrynx, an instrument which, when played by a skilled musician, can create visual images and smells as well as sounds. Mouse is intriguing over all, and something about his, and the whole, story linked up to this song for me. Maybe it's because I have a fondness for space westerns (Firefly, anyone?) or maybe it's just the thematic link of being unable to return to a place, of being a drifter (and maybe a little outside of the law). Anyway, here's the Mouse and the syrynx. He wouldn't leave me alone, so I drew him.

Sorry about the watermark....it looks like the Pleiades Federation is out looking for him. Also, shading is hard :P

2 comments:

  1. Woah, dem vocals. O_O Reminds me of this, a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SzeMRTqPeU

    Also the guy looks like Johnny Depp.

    Also why does Samuel Delany's name sound so familiar even though I haven't read anything by him...? Is he just name-dropped that much by other SF authors? (*adds Nova to the to-read list*)

    Also, nice sketch. I especially like his hair and face.

    Also also also Neil Gaiman can sing? WTF?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r56Mqzp6d58

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, you're the second person to say that John White looks like Depp...it's gotta be the beard XD

      Delany is one of the most prolific sci-fi writers ever. He published his first book when he was 19 and he just kept going. He also wrote essays and nonfiction, so you've probably heard about him from everywhere.

      Thanks. Thinking about putting some arty things up here now, seeing as how I peaced on dA.

      And WHAAAAT?? o_o

      Delete