Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Game

Yes. Dr. Horrible has yet another wonderful incarnation: Doctor Octoroc's 8-Bit Game!

While it isn't an actual game, the video makes any watcher with a background in handheld, pre-DS gaming go back to their pokemon days. Not going to lie. I totally strolled down memory lane with this. The musical adaption is skillfully done and simply begs to be sung along with. Credit for this goes to Doctor Octoroc, who created these videos as a tribute, and who has also brought us 8-Bit Jesus (an album of Christmas carols done entirely in 8-bit sound).

What I love the most about this project are the care and detail in which the videos are handled. The cinema scenes are wonderfully converted from actual screenshots of the blog, and the sprites are brilliantly handled. I think my personal favorites are Bad Horse's cowboy trio, who appear at one point by dropping through the ceiling. What's better is that, after their number, they proceed to vanish by flying back up through the ceiling.

My next favorite part of this production is that Doctor Octoroc supplements the original sing-along blog both with gameplay - like the need to collect parts to build Dr. Horrible's various weapons - as well a hypothetical minigame and a couple of extra scenes which are implied in the blog but never directly seen.

To conclude, I only wish this was a real game. I would be all over it.

The home of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Game may be found here, where you can download the 8-bit version of the soundtrack and contribute to his project if you see fit. :)

Doctor Octoroc's Blog
Also, Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Game is available on the YouTubes!
Act I
Act II Part I, and Act II Part II
Act III Part I, and Act III Part II

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love the game videos. >w< They're adorable and legit at the same time!

    ReplyDelete